The ability to quickly locate medical equipment within a large healthcare facility is critical, driven by the need to meet patient needs or perform required preventive maintenance. Significant staff time is spent searching for equipment, which moves around the hospital and may even be hoarded by departments in anticipation of future needs.
Legacy RTLS technologies and services have failed to solve the problem of providing hospital-wide, real-time visibility to equipment location and status. Hospitals are faced with challenges that include:
- Failed projects implementing legacy RTLS solutions, leaving staff to waste valuable time searching
- Time-consuming and expensive installations of legacy solutions that require new cabling and the risky movement of ceiling tiles
- Poor accuracy of RTLS solutions that rely on legacy technologies like RFID and Wi-Fi
- The expense and effort to maintain legacy RTLS over time including training, battery maintenance, and expansion of coverage
- Decisions to deploy RTLS on a departmental basis, leaving areas of the hospital uncovered
Scottish Rite | Egleston
With over 650 licensed beds and nearly 245,000 emergency department visits in 2019, the staff at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA) understand the urgent need for equipment to be efficiently managed and readily available. CHOA’s Scottish Rite and Egleston hospitals rely on Cognosos technology to provide accurate, real-time location for critical equipment to support their operations as they extend their heritage of providing industry-leading pediatric care.